Thanksgiving weekend we were decorating for Christmas, playing Christmas music, having the candles going - enjoying the season. Here is our mantel shelf with some of our candles burning. Soo pretty.

The shelf from a different angle.

That night when we were getting ready to go to bed, Ray told me he blew out all of the candles, except the one I don't let him because I have to "hug" it to make sure it burns down, etc, etc. I was getting ready for bed and heard a noise, I stopped and listened, I thought it was our precious our cat, I looked down stairs and Precious looked up at me, from being asleep on the stool. I stood there and listened again, heard the pop noise again and went downstairs to find a candle burning the little plant beside it, the flames were about 6 to 8 inches high. Yikes! I yelled for Ray to come help me and then the fire alarm went off. Thank goodness we found it when we did!

The burnt offering - whats left of it - about 1/2 of it burnt.

Some of the burnt marks before we got it cleaned up.... uhh ... I guess I had spiderwebs up on the ceiling.... they were burnt, too.

I had 2 of these plants, one on each end of my mantle, so this is what it looked like originally.
We are soo blessed, Thank goodness no one was hurt and we found it right before the fire alarm went off. I can see why there are soo many fires from candles now. Be careful with candles! I know I will!
2 comments:
Wow! How great that you have good hearing and are curious! You'll have to get some of those little flickering tea lite battery candles that you can put in pumpkins. Nothing is ever so beautiful as a real candle though. Glad everything turned out okay.
Yikes! I'm always afraid something like that will happen. Luckily I have Turner, the boy who won't leave a candle burning. Every time he sees one lit, he blows it out immediately! He's all about safety, you know!
Post a Comment